Old 17-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Amy D

Default How to keep raccoons away

Adam Russell wrote:

"Snooze" wrote in message
. com...

"Adam Russell" wrote in message

Evolution in action. He'll either learn what futility is, or he'll

actually

educate himself on electric fences and not subscribe to ignorant

hysteria.

I'll bet he's even touched his tongue to a battery as a child, but

somehow

he thinks that should have electrocuted him.

I'm pretty sure it takes more than 9v to scare off a racoon. So how

much

voltage would you use that would do the job but not hurt the child? I

know

you can die from as little as 50v. Even less if you got imaginative.

Don't let your kids wear wool socks on a low humidity day...imagine what
would happen if they discovered they can shuffle around the house and zap
each other with a few thousand volts. A typical static electricity shock

is

about 2000 - 4000 volts.

Of course a amperage involved is so low, that aside from the surprise, no
damage is done. Ever taken a weak 9v battery and tapped it against your
tongue? A fresh battery hurts a little, but a weak one gives a little
tingling sensation.

A consumer grade electric fence is harmless, it will give a mild shock,

but

nothing dangerous. I couldn't find the specifications online, so
guestimating, if an electric fence transformer draws 120v A/C @ 1 amp, the
output would be 4000 v A/C at .03 amp.

That's just a mild shocker, pretty safe..if it was D/C on the otherhand is

different story.

You dont know much about electricity it appears. Static electricity is
completely different from transformer electricity. When you get a shock
from static electricity it is 2-4k for only an extreme fraction of a second.
I dont remember how short exactly (1ms comes to mind), but it is the brevity
that saves you. As it swiftly runs out of electrons the voltage falls to
zero. Power out of your wall does not fall off. At all. That 120v will
deliver 1mA or 15A depending on the resistance of what you are powering and
only limited by your circuit breaker or fuse. If you were to put a penny in
the fusebox it could deliver 1000's of amps with no problem except that the
wires would get hot. So putting it through a transformer will not reduce
the amperage available to any safe amount. 4000v will kill you, and it
matters not whether it is DC or AC.

Now as to the matter of electric fences, when I was a child my grandpa told
me to stay away from the electric fence surrounding the cow field. He said
it would kick me like a sledgehammer. He could have been pulling my leg,
but I imagine that anything meant to coerce a cow would hurt a human. OTOH,
a raccoon is not a cow. The question is open whether you could make a fence
with enough jolt to keep out racoons but not enough to hurt 3 year olds. I
personally doubt it.

The electic fence wouldn't have kicked you like a sledgehammer. I saw
more reaction from guys peeing on it than my blonde sister grabbing it
to see if it was alive. Incidentally, she was also the same one that
ALWAYS tested the batteries.....and she's alive and well.

amy