Old 17-05-2004, 09:02 AM
David Rance

Default Grape vine assistance

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I'll be installing an auto watering system in the next couple of
weeks, can anyone tell me how much water a decent size vine needs. I
intend set the system to water twice as day as I do now, but I'm not
sure about the amount. At the moment I give the vine a good sized
watering can - about 1.5 gals? - at each watering. Is that enough? The
plant seems healthy, and no signs of any problems so far.

I would say that wasn't enough - depending on the size of the vine.

Not true. As I said before, an established vine does not need watering.
A vine needs watering only in the first year or two of its life because
the roots will not be established. Once established a vine can look
after itself because the roots go far and wide.

I have several hundred vines. I never water the established vines. The
crop yield is more dependent on whether we have late frosts or not!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |