Old 17-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Default Grape vine assistance

Hello Nick et al

I wouldn't worry too much about having planted inside the greenhouse.
I have two vines (one swee****er, one muscat) both inside.
The roots are, however, on the shady side of the greenhouse
in the lee of a garage with all the damp, cool soil under that to call its
own.

They send roots down a long way.
I watered generously the first year or two
but after that only when the soil looked particularly dry.
Planted with roots outside would perhaps save a bit of work
but I wouldn't bother relocating.
Perhaps put a few roof slates round the root area.
I also have a couple of outdoor swee****er vines against a south-facing
wall
and these get no more water than the rest of the fruit and veg
and produce a few kilos each.
What vines don't like in my experience is too much damp on the leaves
so I prefer watering only at ground level.

Best regards from Ray