Old 17-05-2004, 06:09 PM
David J Bockman

Default Easiest method of removing old sod

The *easiest* method is not to remove it at all. You can define the area to
be converted, spray with Roundup, wait 7 days or so, then plant directly in
through the sod. I've done this many times with good results, but for it to
work well long-term one should then lay thick layers of newspaper and mulch
in on top.

Dave

"Ignoramus4854" wrote in message
Yesterday, I prepared an area for planting horseradish, rhubarb and
ginger root. I removed all old grass with a layer of sod and tossed on
the compost pile. Do do this, I simply undercut the sod with a shovel,
with a kind of "bayonet like" movement of shovel. It was painful and a
lot of effort.

We are thinking about planting new lawn in another area, and I would
like to remove old sod to keep it weed free. The question is, what is
the most economical way (effort-wise)to do so? Is a "sod cutter" a
good way to go?

Also, what can I do with a large quanity of old dead sod. I have a
compost pile, which is comprised of old leaves, new grass, and chicken
manure (2 chickens). Would it do well in a compost pile?

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."