Old 17-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Leaf miners on pepper plants

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:52:39 UTC, (Pat Kiewicz)
opined:
Stan Goodman said:

Last year I had two varieties of peppers, Jalapeno and little, 1-1/2 cmlong
ones from seedlings that the nursery didn't have a name for; several of each
in containers. Both developed leaf miners. Through most of the season, I was
able to control them, more or less, by removing affected leaves; toward the
end of the season (in early December) I just gave up.

What to do about the leaf miners that would a) relieve me of the necessity
of destroying foliage, and b) not, if systemic, leave a poisonous compound
in the fruit?

I don't have to deal with leafminers in peppers, but have occasional problems
with other plants.

Suggestioned controls for leafminers (compatible with 'organic' methods)

-a barrier (light weight fabric) covering the plants -- will interfere with pollination

-repellant -- orange oil

-control by eliminating reservoir of pest in weedy areas, or by planting and
destroying trap crops

-use Neem extracts on plants (will kill larvae before they pupate; don't remove
infested leaves)

What may this be? Sounds like a trade name. Not everything is marketted
everywhere.

The University of California Integrated Pest Management Program has a fact
sheet on leafminers in peppers:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r604300911.html

I will definitely check this out. Many thanks!!

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.