Old 17-05-2004, 07:05 PM
STEVEN STEIN

Default I'm so confused about mulching.

A neighbor last year suggested I try Preen
(http://www.preen.com/newpreen/index.jsp). Virtually no weeds the entire
year - worked great.
Regards.... Steve
"SugarChile" wrote in message

Should work although grass clippings, shreded leaves, straw are better

for
the
veggie garden.

Yep, wood and/or bark mulch are inconvenient in the veggie garden. It's
harder to plant row crops, or add fresh plants in the late summer for fall
crops. Plus, I've noticed that annuals in general don't like the heavy
structure of wood mulch--when I stick extras in the perennial beds, they
sometimes fail to thrive.

I use newspaper covered with straw (keep a hose handy while laying out the
newspaper, and wet it down to keep it from blowing). It's easy to pull
aside for planting, and has largely broken down by the following spring.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA