Old 17-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Mutti Pie

Default Damaged tomato plant survival/production?

Dr. wrote:

Is it worth giving this plant a chance? I have enough (15) tomato plants
that I don't really need a huge harvest off of it. It, along with about a
dozen other heirloom varieties, I'm growing for the first time this year.
I'd at least like to get a few tomatoes off of that plant to see how good
they are.

You bet! Every year we put in about 35 varieties for a total of 90-110
plants. One year we dug in this hard clay like soil which was pretty
dry with a post hole digger about 18" deep. We then put in our plants
to the top two leaves. Some of the tomatoes had almost snapped stems
due to the "help" of our 5 and 1 yo children. Then we received
unexpectly 3" of rain in a 24 hour period. The tomatoes sank until they
were (some of them) in a 6" hole. We did what we always do - caged them
(6' high cattle fencing), newspapered around them and in the 4 foot rows
between them, then heavily strawed. Our plants were about our average -
7 feet tall by 4 feet wide and the yield was great.
'
If anyone is interested in which varieties, and would like comment on their
experience with them, they a

1884

great flavor

Brandywine Red

love all the brandywines
Costoluto Fiorentino

difficult to clean

Green Zebra

Love them - make great "green tomato pickles"

Also you might like -

Ivory egg (bushy, very prolific, duck egg size ivory)

Chocolate Plum (Tall, water tolerant, make the best paste I have ever
eaten or dried)

Snow white (beautiful large slicer that makes wonderful "ivory" tomato
sauce)

Orange Oxheart (very low acid, huge. Literally the size of an ox heart.
Beautiful slicer moderate producer)

Good luck,
Mutti Sabo
Illinois