Old 17-05-2004, 10:08 PM
martin

Default Shrubs galore!

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:19:49 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Jo" wrote in message
. com...
Hi, I'd like to introduce myself. I've been reading a few gardening
groups and you lot seem to be the friendliest. I'm Jo, and hubby and
I have just moved (well last year) into a new house with a biggish
garden full of every kind of shrub and about 8 trees. We've been
trying to work out which ones to prune and which ones to leave but all
we've found in books so far is that there are some you definitely
don't want to cut back which has left us a bit nervous of touching
anything (and the garden pretty wild).

Any kind advice for a novice?

Jo

Hi Jo,

A general rule of thumb is prune when things have stopped flowering....
Maybe a book from the library would help you identify what you have.

having said all that you can hack most things back and they will regrow OK :~))
You might miss a years flowering that way so maybe you should wait to see what
things you like and whether there are any shrubs you want to remove completely.

Apparently 5 years missed flowering with chestnut trees :-((