Old 17-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Pat Brennan

Default Question - Bare Root Orchid Plants

No judging handbook here. But the last time GA came up someone posted that
they though it's use was against the regulations. Seemed weird to me so I
asked Alan and I expect is answer is pretty good, buttons or not. As I
wrote last time this topic came up, if there is an AOS judging list of
prohibited chemicals, hormones, and/or growth regulators I would love to
know what they are. Anyone have the handbook and a little spare time?

Pat

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
and I removed most of it
But for what it is worth, natural sources has nothing to do with it.
If it was made on the space station, shipped directly to monsanto, and
applied thereupon to an orchid, I don't think the AOS judging system
cares... One way or another. I haven't ever seen a rule that states
that a plant treated with any chemical/fertilizer/pesticide/magic potion
is ineligible for judging, as long as it hasn't had an immediate effect
on the appearance of the plant (shining the leaves with vegetable oil is
verboten, soaking white phals in blue food color is a no-no,
fertilizing the plant with chemical fertilizers so that it gives nice
flowers is encouraged). If somebody can find that for me in the
handbook, I'd love to see it. I've been wrong before.