Old 18-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Michelle

Default What Annuals Won't Slugs Eat?

I have a milion slugs and they always seem to ignore my petunias ?
go figure but they don't eat them at all wish the same could be said
for my vegies

On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:20:09 -0400, "Jenny"
wrote:

I'm still experimenting to see what I can grow around my new house. We have
a once-wooded area that the builders covered with about 6 inches of chopped
wood mulch. It has the best sun on our property so I have been clearing the
mulch away and amending the miserably rocky soil bit by bit and putting in
flowers there. Daffodils did very well this spring and the perennials I
planted have survived for over a month, but slugs have destroyed all the
marigolds and salvia I planted--stripped the marigolds of leaves and put big
holes in the salvia leaves They've also seem to have eaten the summer bulbs
I planted.

I've read up on slugs online and since we're on the edge of a large forest
and the ground is quite damp at this time of year, I think I'm going to have
to live with them and plant things they won't eat. The fun is going to go
out of gardening very fast if I have to collect slugs every morning.
shudder Trouble is, when it comes to things they won't eat, I don't really
know what they are, and buying flat after flat to find out gets expensive.

So far, they have left the verbena and alyssum alone. It is too soon to
tell if they will leave alone the portulaca and the impatiens that I
planted in shadowy areas. I really want something that is bright and
colorful and can be seen from a distance. Any one have any suggestions?
I'm in Western Massachusetts right on the border of VT.

-- Jenny