Old 18-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Mon Chi Chi

Default lowering PH?

this is an indoor garden as my area is to cool to grow out doors for good
results with my chilies and tomatoes.. I am looking for a way to ph my
water. I am growing in sphagnum peat moss,vermiculite/perlite/worm casting
medium..just want to get my water ph correct for veg and flower.. I do
regular flushing of the pots but I want to know how to ph the water I feed
and flush with.. I heard dolomite lime is 7.0 and you can top dress pots..
and vinegar works but how much to lower from 7.8 to 6.0 .. also I heard
citric acid can work.. any other ideas..
mon
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:14:16 -0400, "Mon Chi Chi"
wrote:

How can I lower PH in my indoor garden. I am at around 7.0 and I want to

get
to about 5.9 for my tomatoes. I have used aquarium product before but

found
it to be expensive. I am not sure what product to use that will not harm

my
plants as they are for human consumption...

mon

If you add compost to your garden, the decaying matter will produce
acids. If you work the compost into the soil using a tiller, the soil
will become increasingly sour and chemicals will leach out. Acidic
materials you can add include peat moss, sulfur, or aluminum sulfate.
For your desired pH of 5.9, use 5 pounds of peat moss, 2.5 pounds of
sulfur, or 15 pounds of aluminum sulfate per 100 sq foot of garden
space. It is better to till in the additive than just spread it over
the ground. You'll need less of the additives for sandy soil and
somewhat more for heavy clay soil. Changes in pH do not happen
overnight. Test pH again in 6 months.

I've grown tomatoes for many years and never had concern about pH.
Temperature seems to be more of a problem.

---