Old 18-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Limei

Default non-invasive groundcover for shady slope at Maryland

Thanks all for the help! Also, does anyone know of a good place (mail
order?)to find Green Sheen Pachysandra?

"John McGaw" wrote in message ...
"David J Bockman" wrote in message
For a twist on that traditional suggestion, there is a lovely variegated
pachysandra, Pachysandra terminalis 'Variegata', as well as a smaller

leaved
variety called 'Green Sheen' that has leaves which appear constantly wet

and
shiny-- very attractive.

You could also intersperse with shade loving shrubs such as Kerria

japonica
'Picta' and Red Ozier Dogwood, Cornus stolonifera.

Dave

"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
"Limei" wrote in message
om...
I don't known the first thing of groundcovering plants. Should I get
seeds or plugs? Any particular nursery recommendation? I live at
suburban washington dc (north). thanks in advance!

Sounds like a job for Pachysandra to me since it will grow in fairly

heavy
shade even under evergreen trees and grows to an even height so it gives

nice carpet effect. I've had some in my yard for seven years and have

not
seen it spreading in a menacing manner. Vinca minor is pretty good

although
it does seem to spread more. I've never seen seeds for either of these
plants so I guess it will be in plugs or small pots or possibly even
bareroot.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Yes, I've seen mention of several Pachycandra cultivars but haven't seen
them in person. Having several different varieties interspersed in drifts
might give a nice tapestry effect. I do know that it is pretty reliable
species under most shade and soil conditions which is why I mentioned it in
the first place. In other words -- if I haven't killed mine in seven years
it must be pretty darned reliable ;-)