Old 18-05-2004, 05:04 AM
eclectic

Default Newbie Gardener

"Tranch749" wrote in message
As a first time home owner I've got tons of gardening questions, but I'll
start with the basics. The builder is putting down sod in the front lawn and a
seed blanket (?) for the rear yard. The town I will be living in has watering
restrictions. Many of my friends tell me the sod is going to die if I don't
soak it every day. The watering restrictions are, I can water every other day
from 5 PM to 8:30 PM. Won't this be enough time to water the sod and the back
yard?

Consider the advice of your friends and also your builder. They know your
climatic area - perhaps even what type or blend of grass is in your sod/seed
blanket. That said, let me hazard this advice:

Newly installed sod dries out fast and requires watering right away. Have it
installed the same day you can water. A new lawn has changing water
requirements according to how well it has rooted into the soil. When new, the
lawn has a shallow root system and needs the surface to stay moist, but not
soaking wet. After a couple of weeks(?) when the sod is well anchored,
deeper watering is required, but less frequently.

Regards.