Old 18-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default which nitrate test kit is the best??

Hi Graham,

When holding the tube directly against the chart I get the weird off-color
fucshia hue which doesn't match with
any of the colors on the scale. When I hold it back it matches more. Maybe
there is something in my water affecting the method of how the testing
chemicals react...or maybe it's just a defunct kit?

Dave.

"Graham Broadbridge" wrote in message
u...
Hi Dave,

One thing I forgot to mention about the Tetra test kit is that you must
always follow the instructions which tell you to compare the colour when
holding the test tube *against* the colour chart.

If you hold the test tube even 1 inch from the chart you will see a paler
colour which will mislead you.

Many folks (myself included) expect a certain result and will move the

test
tube back and forward until it matches their expectations. If you do

that
the test is invalid.

I've just diluted a test sample from my stock 20ppm to 5 ppm and again I

can
confirm that the test kit is accurate at 5ppm.

Tom must have used an out of date test kit, as I cannot find anything

wrong
with the results from my Tetra Nitrate Test kit.

Graham.

BTW I have no association with the manufacturer - i just use their

Phosphate
and Nitrate Tests because they are nice and cheap.