Old 18-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Timothy

Default Mantis tiller carb/starting questions

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:23:26 -0400, Barry Brown wrote:

I'm sorry about posting my email address, but I wasn't sure how soon I
would be able to get access to newsgroups this week.

I took the carburetor off the engine, took it completely apart and pulled
the gaskets out without tearing them to pieces. I cleaned the carburetor
with carb cleaning spray, but now I might better make sure that the gas
intake at the bottom of the carburetor is completely cleaned out. If it is
not, I don't know what to do to it.

I'm not sure what you mean about having the wrong tube connected...
there's only one fuel line that comes out of the tank. The other is a vent
line that goes up, and I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding you. I didn't
look really closely because I was in a hurry Saturday, but does this 20
model even have a squeeze bulb?

This model 'should' have a primer bulb on it. This model 'should' also
have 3 tubes... 1 tube as a gas feed, 1 tube as a return to tank and 1
tube as a vent. Take another look and see if there are 3 tubes, if not
then I'm not all too sure then. Must be a rather old model I haven't seen
before.

When you take the carb off and apart you almost always have to
change all the paper seals. Even though you didn't rip them, the seals
compress only once. After that it's very if'ie that the seals will be air
tight again. You may also have damages the diaphram that is inside of the
carb. Kind of plastic like black thing with a metal center..?

There are two routes that can be taken here imho. Buy a complete carb seal
kit (10 to 20 dollars) or get a new carb (40 to 60 dollars).

As far as your email address goes, I *highly* suggest that you 'munge' you
email address. Look at my email address for an example or google 'munge
email' to figure out how. If not you'll end up with tons of spam. The
usenet get's harvested by programs (spiders) that look for email address
in posts. Unless you want 'penis enlargement' adds filling your box... lol.
Good luck.