Old 18-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Default Hyacinth from Seed?

Frogleg in
:

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:46:53 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

Ah hah! Try:

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/data/trew/b...false&page=14&
type=kew&chap=4

Many thanks -- an excellent reference and it appears to give all the
information I needed. I don't know why my own search didn't turn it up
but such are the vagaries of search engines.

I started with "hyacinth from seed" which plunged me deep into
hyacinth bean references. Was tempted to wander around a bit -- they
are interesting plants -- but I was on a mission. Simply changed
'hyacinth' to plural and there it was. :-)

seed start guide hyacinthus

http://www.detnews.com/2001/garden/0...e10-244270.htm
snip

The varieties we grow now are the result of centuries of crossing one
Hyacinthus orientalis with another and planting the seed.
Let seed ripen on the plant until it's dry and brown. Sow it, barely
covered, keep it moist and either refrigerate the seed tray over winter or
put it outdoors so seeds get the essential chilling they need to sprout --
90 days of below-40 temperatures. Even then, seed may wait two winters to
germinate. Seedlings take three years or more to develop a bulb large
enough to produce a flower.

snip

seeds probably need little or no chill
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e+hyacint hus

Mediterranean hyacinth (Hyacinthus orientalis) bloom

Hyacinthus orientalis ) Plant Origin: Southern Europe ... opened
Environment:
full sunlight, on well-drained, sandy soils Climate: warm, mild