Old 18-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Cruz de Malta

In article , mel turner mturner@sni
pthis.acpub.duke.edu writes
In article q5eqc.108338$Ik.8864157@attbi_s53, [MP]
wrote...

Hello,

looking for information on a flower called "Cruz de Malta". No idea what
its scientific name/classification is. I need to find some macro-type pics
of flowers/fruits/berries/leaves.

Since this common name is just Spanish for "Maltese Cross",
it might very well be used for more than one species in different
places. In what context did you encounter the name?

Anyway, after Google Image searching, I found

http://www.nyboricua.com/images/Flor...DeMalta001.jpg

A text search confirms my recollection that "Maltese Cross" is Lychnis
chalcedonica, and also shows that "Cruz de Malta" (and also "Croix de
Malte") is used (apparently infrequently) for this species. No other
Spanish name for Lychnis chalcedonica leaps out from Google.

which looks like probably an _Ixora_ species [family Rubiaceae], and

http://www.lorescotropicalplants.hom...icalsPage.html

indeed shows an Ixora that is labelled "Cruz de Malta".

http://www.yunque.net/almaysuelo/Arbustos.htm indicates that

"Cruz de Malta" is used for _Ixora coccinea_

On the other hand,

http://sites.netsite.com.br/sistemaa...ofissional.htm

indicates that they're using the same name for Malpighia ilicifolia,
which is a very different plant.

Anyway,
http://www.google.com/search?q=+ixor...%22&h l=en&lr
=&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&filter=0

seems to show a strong preponderance of the name being
used for Ixora.

So,
http://www.google.com/advanced_image...&svnu m=10&hl
=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

will find you a lot of pictures of that species.

I have only found one picture on the net of one -- and it is not a very good
close-up.

Thanks in advance -- any help is greatly appreciated.

Hope I've helped.

http://www.fs.fed.us/global/iitf/pdf...20coccinea.pdf

may have useful info for you.

cheers