Old 18-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Trimming Japanese Maple Crimson Queen lace leaf help?

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a japanese maple lace leaf tree that is currently about 1.5 feet
high. It has a diameter of approximately 3.5 - 4 feet. The way it is now
it looks more like a low growing shrub. The problem is I want it to get a
little taller. I would prefer it to get about 3.5 feet tall. But it

seems
since the branches are so long and filled with leaves that it is keeping
the tree from getting taller. I realize it is a slow process, but it just
keeps getting wider. I figured if I cut some of the branches so it isn't
as wide it might grow taller. The weight of the branches seem to bend the
main trunk down to one side. Plus I think it would look a little better

if
it wasn't as wide. The tree is very healthy. Is it safe to cut the
branches? How much? Is now a good time to do it (MAY)?

Gary

In addition to David's very appropriate comments, I would add that ultimate
heght of dwarf lace leaf maples is determined by their graft. If it has a
low graft, you should expect a tree that will stay low to the ground. You
can encourage some more upward growth by carefully staking and guiding the
top branches, but their natural habit will be to cascade and you will not
achieve significantly more height. Pruning will not alter this growth
pattern and can damage the appearance of the tree. Generally, summer pruning
on J. maples is recommended for mid to late June, after the sap stops
running.from the spring growth spurt.

Typically J. maples are not heavily pruned. You can always remove dead or
damaged branches and thin excess twiginess on certain cultivars, otherwise
pruning is usually limited to enhancing the natural form of the tree by
those who are accomplished in this technique. It is quite an art form.

pam - gardengal