Old 18-05-2004, 03:17 PM
GloFish

Default Lead weights for plants

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:28:12 -0400, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

I have a lead melter/burner device that melts about a US pound of lead at a
time. I'd like to find out how to make a mold to shape it in.

My current ideas are, using 1"x1" wood, and fastening it to make a series of
steps, X's or triangular shaped ridges /\/\/\/\/\ in some fashion, cap on
both ends, and pour the lead into the valleys, and cool, extract, lay on
sheet of "_____________" to resist sticking, and heat in oven till a temp
that allows the metal to be mallable. Use rolling pin to flatten, and
orient them to the same size, cut off the ends, and shape as needed...

As you can see, I've got the idea worked out but need the blank filled in..
Also, if you can help make the mold, or improve upon it, I'll make some
strips for you too... btw, I've got 40lbs of lead...

Marble butting board.... or granite..... in the pastry kitchen we use
a large piece of granite about an inch thick to cool cooked sugar and
chocolate....

The lead shouldn't stick, and often can get leftovers from local
quarries or cabinet makers.... those kitchen counters do break on
occasion....

As for the mold.... I used to do this long long ago for wishing
weights - lead strips, just like we use for plants... I used sand,
although all I did was pour it flat and cut the strips out using a
razor knife and a T-square.

hope that inspires something useful.

--Tony