Old 18-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Frogleg

Default need to prune tomato plant?

On 17 May 2004 16:45:37 -0700, (Frank) wrote:

It is my first year to grow tomato. It is beefsteak and I plant one in
a 20" planter. I used "Whiteney Farm" organic all purpose plant food.
I read that using organic fertilizer I don't have to worry about
overfertilize

Looks like Whitney Farms 'all purpose' is a balanced 5-5-5 (N-P-K)
formula. Tomato-specific fertilizer is generally a little heaver in
the Potassium department, but it should be OK.

I bought a tomato cage from HD which has 4 rings and 3
stalks.

It should be illegal to sell those. They are *way* too small and
flimsy for healthy tomato plants. Try and rig up some other support
for your plant.

I haven't got any
flower not saying fruit. I'm wondering whether I
should prune the plant, ie cut some tips?

You 'prune' tomato plants by removing 'suckers' that grow in the 'V'
of larger branches. Opinions differ on the wisdom/necessity of this.
Do *not* cut the tips of branches.

My
plant may only get 4 hours afternoon sun. It is the best I can do with
my location. How bad will this affect the flowering and production?

Considerably and negatively. Tomatoes like "full sun", which means at
least 6 hours a day. More is better. Your plant may produce a few
tomatoes, but full sun would make a world of difference.