Old 18-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Rez

Default Damaged tomato plant survival/production?

In article , (Al Dykes) wrote:
Here if you don't at least give them some manure, they don't do much
but sit there looking pale and pathetic (our soil has NO nitrogen).
But it takes very little to turn them into man-eating monsters, as the
ones fertilized only with insecticidal soap demonstrated

How hard is it to over-fertilize ?

Here you can pile fertilizer on with a shovel and barely make a dent.
What we have isn't really soil, it's sand, completely free of organic
material. I hoard manure and leaves and grass, and use them liberally
along with ammonium sulphate for the alkali and lack of nitrogen, but
if a plant is really demanding, you can barely tell I've bothered :/
Plants that can make do with any which conditions seem to think it's
all fine regardless, and then the issue is keeping the top layer
hydrated enough that the roots don't bake. The lower sand holds water
very well, but if the top layer dries out, ground temp can easily
reach 160F where exposed to sun all day long.

~REZ~