Old 18-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Electric timer?

220 is single-phase, or "split-phase" in the US. 3 phase is rare.

George wrote:
"GoldLexus" wrote in message

We have pond with a waterfall. The water fall is at a 14 ft. incline with a
submersible pump.
We run the waterfall only during the spring and summer and shut it off in
the fall/winter. We haven't
turned it on yet this season due to some leaking issues. Anyway when the
fall is running our electric bill
triples! We run it 24/7 but we would like to shut it off during the night.
Where can I get a timer for this purpose?
Would it hurt the pump turning it on and off everyday? It is a big pump and
runs on I believe 220 power.

Wow. I can see why your electric bill triples. Are you sure you need this
large a pump?

Sorry,
I don't know much about this we 'inherited' the pond/waterfall when we
bought the house and no very little about it. Last year was
our first year with it and it was very expensive to run. Just need to find
out how we can lower our electric bill thought a timer would
help a bit.

I would think a 220 volt pump (which I assume is three phase) would produce a
prodigeous waterfall. How many amperes does it use? I don't know the
dimensions of your system or the pond, but if you are concerned about electric
costs, and can do without such a showy waterfall, you could always buy a smaller
pump, one that runs on 120 volts, single phase, that uses less amperes. Of
course, it will reduce the amount of water that flow over the falls. But if the
system can handle a smaller pump, and you can tolerate it, and can afford to buy
one, and rewire your outlet to 120 volts, I would think a smaller pump would be
at least as effective as using a timer. In fact, it could save you much more
money than a timer would. I have no idea where you would get a timer for a 220
volt circuit, although I have no doubt that there is an industrial grade timer
out there made specificially for 220. Look in the phone book in your area for
an industrial electric equipment supply company. I would contact a company like
that and ask them if they have timers for 220 volt circuits.