Old 18-05-2004, 06:19 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Plant question

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Question:
1. Which did the pond in? cloudy water or fertilizer drippins... Both?
Oh we can't let her be right. I'll never hear the end of it.

IMHO your pond is not done in but healthy and normal. Algae is part of the
world of water gardens. It sucks for us, but is OK for your pond. We all get
algae blooms from time to time. I know I must wait mine out because it's
"that time of year". The fertilizer could probably have contributed, but I
can't imagine that much.

2. Can I eliminate the use of the kitty litter all together? I hope I

can
LOL, because I took all the plants out and re-potted them in pea gravel.

Of
course I rinsed off the gravel real well before I did anything and was as
gentle as possible with their little roots.

I use mulm/mud for plants like my Lotus. For My iris I use a mixture of pea
gravel and larger 1-2 inch river rock. I planted a lily in the same rock
mixture this year, and it is not doing well, whereas my other lily is doing
fine in it's mud mix. My cat tails, palms and water canna are doing just
great in rocks/pea gravel as well. The Pickeral rush that i tossed in sans
pot last year, is growing nicely...no rock...no mud.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

--
Pond Diver