Old 18-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Ophelia

Default Crocosmia - a record?

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2004 02:23:29 +0100, Joe
wrote:

Indeed! Crocosmia give a marvellous display when in flower; but they
are otherwise boring or even downright unattractive soon after
flowering.

Funny coincidence. I had a discussion on this vrey topic with my next
door neighbor yesterday. She said she was irritated by her Peonies,
which bloom briefly (and spectacularly) all at once, and then just sit
there. :-) I pointed out that *many* plants' flowering season is
brief. The festival display of Azaleas here has just come to a close;
tulips and daffs are one-trick ponies ('though she pointed out that
with early and late varieties, the 'season' can be extended); my
gardenia bush has 100 flowers, scenting the neighborhood for 3 weeks,
etc. One can hardly blame a plant for being just leaves most of the
time. Daffodil foliage *does* get awfully tatty, but we put up with it
for the lovely early color and scent. Lily of the Valley also has ugly
foliage in the fall. And is invasive.

I think Crocosmia needs an advocate, and I'm willing to step into that
role. "Put a little fire into your garden!" :-)

I love mine and intend to keep it