Old 18-05-2004, 07:21 PM
George

Default snails

"Kay" wrote in message
news:5cqqc.111931$Ik.9128532@attbi_s53...
I have been posting and reading in the goldfish news group about snails. and it
seems as if some posters feel that snails are danggerious to their goldfish.
Basically buying plants and the snails on the plants having diseases. what my
question here is, how many people here have had a fish get sick or die due to a
snail?

Kay

I have, but not in a pond. I also raise fresh and salt water aquarium fish. I
have had snails wipe out an entire tank. I don't remember the specific species
that did it, but some snails carry parasites that are deadly to fish, while
others carry deadly bacteria. In addition, some really nasty ones will grow in
their larval stage attached to a fish's gill tissue, sucking fluids out of the
fish, and introducing parasites and diseases along the way. Most, however, are
harmless to fish. Ususally the problem snails get into a tank or a pond via
introduced plant populations. Which is why, in my view, a good habit to get
into is to wash any plants before you introduce them into an aquarium or pond.