Old 18-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Default which nitrate test kit is the best??

My Tetra goes from lemon yellow to red.
Fuchsia is from another way of measuring Nitrates...

Philippe

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Hi Graham,

When holding the tube directly against the chart I get the weird off-color
fucshia hue which doesn't match with
any of the colors on the scale. When I hold it back it matches more. Maybe
there is something in my water affecting the method of how the testing
chemicals react...or maybe it's just a defunct kit?

Dave.

"Graham Broadbridge" wrote in message
u...
Hi Dave,

One thing I forgot to mention about the Tetra test kit is that you must
always follow the instructions which tell you to compare the colour when
holding the test tube *against* the colour chart.

If you hold the test tube even 1 inch from the chart you will see a paler
colour which will mislead you.

Many folks (myself included) expect a certain result and will move the

test
tube back and forward until it matches their expectations. If you do

that
the test is invalid.

I've just diluted a test sample from my stock 20ppm to 5 ppm and again I

can
confirm that the test kit is accurate at 5ppm.

Tom must have used an out of date test kit, as I cannot find anything

wrong
with the results from my Tetra Nitrate Test kit.

Graham.

BTW I have no association with the manufacturer - i just use their

Phosphate
and Nitrate Tests because they are nice and cheap.