Old 18-05-2004, 09:12 PM
gcroft

Default Seed, or insect egg?

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

I think you're wrong, I get these things on the allotments and was hoping
someone would anser the question so that I too would know. It's
definitely an insect egg of some sort on the allotment

I think they sound very like worm 'eggs'.

Worms are hermaphrodites, and they lie together 'top-and-tail', secured,
IIRC, by each squeezing under the clitellum of the other. (The short
'sleeve' about a third the way from the front.)

The vesicles line up and the male part of each worm inseminates the
female part of the other. As part of the process (It's nearly fifty
years since I studied this at school, so memory is a bit hazy) the
clitellum is worked down each worm and the sperm and ova from the female
vesicle are squeezed into the clitellum, which is shed, and its ends
close up, encapsulating the fluids.

The eggs develop within the clitellum, which becomes a brittle dull
yellow shell.

Yep they are worm capsules take it from me !

Cheers

Gary