Old 19-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Ray

Default server trouble :-(

You're right! That sure ain't normal.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Ray,
Actually no, what happened yesterday was definitely not a normal function of
the ISP. As you point out, in a correctly functioning ISP, when the maximum
is reached or when a certain amount of time has passed "the oldest go away
from their server", but what happened to me yesterday was that the newest
messages disappeared. One of the messages that disappeared was a message by
molli in response to Diana's "Redland Loot". I can actually see it now in
the archive at groups.google.com
(http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...n-iQ%404dv.net
posted yesterday at 18:45), and the other message that has disappeared from
my ISP's server is the fertilizing questions post
(http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...speer2.tds.net posted
yesterday at 19:09) that you, Ray, responded to this morning. My ISP has
your response, but they do not have the post with the question any more. The
two posts disappeared within 4 hours after being posted. That is definitely
not normal ISP behavior! Or shouldn't be anyway.
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
That's a function of your ISP's message retention methodology. Some keep

a message for "X" days,
and some until that newsgroup has accumulated "Y" megabytes of total, at

which point the oldest go
away from their server.

That's one of the reasons some of us gripe about people posting

excessively large images on ABPO, as
for some participants, it drastically shortens the time all of the images

will be available on their
ISP's servers.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
When I came home, I saw several new messages on rgo, and two of these
messages, when I clicked on them led to the message "this message is no
longer available on the server", and these were definitely new messages!
Could there have been other messages that did not even make it that far?
Maybe I am missing several fascinating new threads. :-( Grrr! Diana, I

can
understand your frustration better now, and I wish I didn't.

Joanna