Old 19-05-2004, 12:11 AM
ray hucek

Default dying fish-need help please

Thanks for the reply. I had about 75-80 fish ranging from fry to 6 inches,
but mostly 3-4 ins.

I tested the water and forgot to give the findings in my original posting.
Sorry--
PH -7.4-7.6
Ammon-- less than 1 PPM.
Nitrite-- .25
water temp- 80 degrees

The toad and tadpoles were dead before treating the pond.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ray

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Hi Ray,
that's too bad :-(

A few questions before the experts arrive, -

How many fish in the pond and appx. how big are they?
Water test results, exact numbers?
malachite green This can be fatal to amphibians. Did they die before

or
after you treated?
Hope someone has an answer for you.

Subject: dying fish-need help please
From: "ray hucek"
Date: Tue, May 18, 2004 10:51 AM
I am in need of some advice and hope you could help.

I am having a fish die-off. They are goldfish and the pond is about 6

years
old. I have never had anything like this happen before. There aren't any
appearant signs of infection on the fish. The only symptoms that I see

are
listlessness at the end of their life. They lose their appetite.

There haven't been any plant or fish additions to the pond. The only
connection that I have seen is this-toads come to mate in my pond as in
previous years. This year, I found a dead toad floating in my pond, which

took out. That was about 3-4 weeks ago. Later, all of the tadpoles died
off. There currently are more and they seem to be doing all right. In

the
past week, I have had 1-3 fish die every day. Is it possible that the

toad
carried a virus that infected the fish?

I have done a water change this past weekend of about 30%. I medicated it
twice with a combination of formalin and malachite green. The pond is

about
3,000 gallons and has an external filtering system.

I am at a loss. None of the diseases that I have seen described match

this.

I am hoping someone will have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray

kathy :-)