Old 19-05-2004, 12:26 AM

Default dying fish-need help please

your water has gone toxic, most likely from the spawning of toads. DO NOT TREAT WITH
MEDICINES. this will just make it more toxic.
water changes!!!!!! get those toads and toadpoles and eggs out of there.
If you have to drain the pond, move the fish to a kiddie pool and clean all those
toadpoles outta there.
if you dont have hellatious aeration in this pond get an air blower from aquatic
ecosystems and 4 of their foot long sintered glass air stones to put oxygen into this
pond. between the ammonia and the temp of the water the fish are smothering.
Ingrid

I had about 75-80 fish ranging from fry to 6 inches,
but mostly 3-4 ins.

I tested the water and forgot to give the findings in my original posting.
Sorry--
PH -7.4-7.6
Ammon-- less than 1 PPM.
Nitrite-- .25
water temp- 80 degrees

The toad and tadpoles were dead before treating the pond.

"ray hucek" wrote:

I am in need of some advice and hope you could help.

I am having a fish die-off. They are goldfish and the pond is about 6 years
old. I have never had anything like this happen before. There aren't any
appearant signs of infection on the fish. The only symptoms that I see are
listlessness at the end of their life. They lose their appetite.

There haven't been any plant or fish additions to the pond. The only
connection that I have seen is this-toads come to mate in my pond as in
previous years. This year, I found a dead toad floating in my pond, which I
took out. That was about 3-4 weeks ago. Later, all of the tadpoles died
off. There currently are more and they seem to be doing all right. In the
past week, I have had 1-3 fish die every day. Is it possible that the toad
carried a virus that infected the fish?

I have done a water change this past weekend of about 30%. I medicated it
twice with a combination of formalin and malachite green. The pond is about
3,000 gallons and has an external filtering system.

I am at a loss. None of the diseases that I have seen described match this.

I am hoping someone will have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/