Old 19-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Dewitt

Default Peloric Orchids

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:33:37 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

I found the following definition for peloric on the web:

Peloric - In orchids, a term used to describe an unusual and often beautiful
(sometimes grotesque) condition where all three petals (instead of just one)
attempt to fashion themselves into lip colors and/or shapes.

peloric
\Pe*lo"ric\, a. (Bot.) Abnormally regular or symmetrical. --Darwin.

I have no clue what it really means, when it happens, and why it happens.
Can we talk a little bit about this "abnormality"? I really would love to
learn about it.

Mariana

You might want to look through the prior discussion on the subject.
The following TinyURL will give you a google search on prior post on
the topic: http://tinyurl.com/2au8b

In orchids the lip is a modified petal. When the two other petals
(generally at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock) start showing characteristics
of the lip (shape or color or both), the bloom is referred to a
peloric. Whether the result is seen as "beautiful" or "deformed"
depends a lot on the personal taste of the viewer.

deg