Old 19-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Kay

Default snails

wrote:
Most people have no idea why their fish die. And frankly, it isnt my opinion that
snails are not a good "companion" animal for pond fish. It is the opinion of the
experts that breed fish, the experts that write the text books. I did start out my
graduate studies in parasitology, so I have enough information to be very impressed
with how nasty parasites are that spread thru intermediate hosts.
consider that the dermal variety of schistosomiasis AKA swimmers itch is spread by
snails... and the Pond Lady was getting horrendous itching and sores on arms and legs
from her ponds.
as for people buying snails to put in their pond... whatever winds your motor
applies.
Ingrid

Kay wrote:

I wanted to see how many people had illiness to their fish from snails
because I disagree with Ingrid on the instances. I know there a black
spot disease that come from infected snails, but I think that its not
common at all, if not rare, with snails that hitch a ride on a plant
bought from a petstore. Since lots of people if not all have goldfish,
koi I wanted to see if anyone had fish sick from snails and if so what
did they do and what illiness. Basically like a poll of fish keepers
with pond and aquariums.Kay

I think lots of animals can carry just about anything that a snail can.
And being a breeder for money it would make sense to keep to a single
specie enviorment, but I refuse to believe a snail on the average can
kill a fish by hitching a ride on a plant from a LFS.

Kay