Old 19-05-2004, 05:02 AM
A mukluk wearing troll

Default growing mint

On 18 May 2004 17:31:33 GMT, Ignoramus13397
wrote:

In article , David Ross wrote:
Ignoramus13397 wrote:

can it be grown in partial shade?

Most definitely, yes. While heat does not seem to bother it, hot
sun does. Mint grows quite well in full or part shade.

I suggest you grow it in a container and not in the ground.

What about the winter? We live in Zone 5 with -5F occurring every
winter. How would it survive in a container?

Just fine. It winters over in a pot on my balcony quite nicely in
Canadian Zone 6b, equivalent to your USDA 5. The trick it to
tuck the pot in next to something with mass... the side of the
building, other pots, or dig it into the ground. Mint is tough. It
will handle USDA zone 4. It's the rapid changes in soil mass
termperature that tough on potted plants over a winter.
Once it gets frozen, it's important to keep the plant frozen until
spring. By either burying the pot in the ground, or tucking it in next
to a big mass, you slow down the freeze/thaw cycle and allow that to
happen.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario