Old 19-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

(Shooter Dude) wrote in
om:

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot. It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time. When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better? They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

My Toro cordless electric uses .050", the thinnest diameter I've seen and
works well. You only need to bump it often if you're mowing with it and
the string gets bent. Edging using the tip only works better. If the
weather has been dry for a couple of days and the grass isn't crazy, I
can do ~300' of edging without bumping.