Old 19-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Ray

Default Peloric Orchids

oops...

That was supposed to be a situation in flowers where there is symmetry in a situation that should
NOT be

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Ray" wrote in message ...
Pelorism is defined as a situation in flowers where there is symmetry in a situation that should
be - true in orchids whether that is three lips or three similar (non-lip) petals.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
et...
I found the following definition for peloric on the web:

Peloric - In orchids, a term used to describe an unusual and often beautiful
(sometimes grotesque) condition where all three petals (instead of just one)
attempt to fashion themselves into lip colors and/or shapes.

peloric
\Pe*lo"ric\, a. (Bot.) Abnormally regular or symmetrical. --Darwin.

I have no clue what it really means, when it happens, and why it happens.
Can we talk a little bit about this "abnormality"? I really would love to
learn about it.

Mariana
--
Adult: A person who has stopped growing at both ends and is now growing in
the middle.