Old 19-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Satsuki problem - bark splitting

In a message dated 5/18/2004 11:05:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
What caused it?? From what I
have found, freezing can do this, but I think we only had 5-6 days
below 32F last winter here. Maybe 28F. was the lowest temperature.
I've also read that fertilizing too late in the summer can cause this
(which I probably did). The plants were also pruned late in the year,
around August. Most of the information I've found has been vague, and
I'm hoping to find someone with some experience to confirm this or
perhaps add to it. I obviously don't intend to fertilize or prune this
late again. But I'm afraid to do much of anything at this point,
although I have a couple new plants that I feel need pruned back. Any
help is appreciated.
Lauren:

Satsuki do not like to be frozen. The superficial damage to your trees is
most likely the result of a hard freeze.

Remedy: The best thing that you can do at this time is to aggressively feed
or Superfeed the specimens and to allow them to grow unchecked (no pruning or
wiring) for at least one growing season.

Minimize late season pruning, and stop the aggressive feeding in early
August. All should be well with your trees.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: