Old 19-05-2004, 05:03 PM
David Ross

Default Garden planting question

Anna wrote:

I am new to gardening and would like to know if I can plant zucchini and
cucumbers in the same raised bed. The bed is about 15 feet long.
I am also planting musk melons. I have several raised beds that are about 2
feet apart.
I have heard that planting these things close will cause cross pollination
and affect the taste of the produce.
Thanks
Anna

Cross-pollination would only affect what happens when you plant the
resulting seeds. The fruit containing those seeds, however, will
reflect only the plant on which it is growing. Since you harvest
and eat zucchini and cucumbers before the seeds mature (before the
fruit ripens), you will not notice any difference. Since you don't
eat the melon seeds, you won't notice any difference there either.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.