Old 19-05-2004, 06:11 PM
groovy

Default String Algae!

"Lisa" wrote in message
news:r0Hqc.33823$6f5.3344973@attbi_s54...
What is the best way to get rid of string algae? At least, I think that is
what I have. It looks like plants growing from the bottom of the pond up.
It looks just like seaweed. I hate adding stuff to the water. The last
time I did that, my lilies got stunned and they didn't do as well. They

are
just getting established now, so I know in time they will shade the water
and help correct the problem, but until then short of draining the pond

and
scraping it off, is there any other way? My daughter suggested adding

some
barley pads. Has anyone else had any luck with these?

String algae looks like green angel hair noodles rather than seaweed. If you
have
more like spagetti with thin leaves coming off it, its a water weed that
depending
on the variety could be oxygenating and grows like crazy hoovering up all
the nutrients that cause the string algae.