Old 19-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Blues Ma

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

Salty Thumb wrote:

(Shooter Dude) wrote in
om:

I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.* It uses
0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head.* In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.* When trimming against an
obstacle such my foundation or even a wood fence, the line lasts about
20 seconds or less before it's mostly gone.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line.* Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better?* They seem wastefull, since once the line is about halfway
gone (or as short as you can stand it, I guess), you discard the rest
of it.

Thanks for any tips!

My Toro cordless electric uses .050", the thinnest diameter I've seen and
works well.* You only need to bump it often if you're mowing with it and
the string gets bent.* Edging using the tip only works better.* If the
weather has been dry for a couple of days and the grass isn't crazy, I
can do ~300' of edging without bumping.

The Black & Decker Grass Hog uses .065* -* self feeds and is fairly cheap.
Mine is electric and can tolerate the voltage drop from over 100' of cord
with
no complaints.**** Quieter than the gas models and no stink or mixing.
Also does the edging thing with a built in wire guide.
*
*