Old 19-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default acer platanoides and Rootenone; sunburst locust and blue spruce

Chuck wrote:

YOU REFRESHED MY MEMORY. I'm not suffering from ALZHEIMERS. THE SPECIFIC
auxin is Indole-3-Acetic Acid but I-3-B acid woirks the same way. They are
natural extracts but can easily be synthesized. I-3-B acid is easier. Next
time try removing most of the leaves before transplanting. It works better.

Chuck

I remove about 50% of the leaves on a stem for a "cutting". I am guessing that
the leaves signal the bottom of the stem "hey, throw out some roots so that I
can remain alive."

It would be interesting research to find out the optimal percent of leaves left
on a stem of a cutting in order for successful rooting. I would guess that
between 50% to 67% is the optimal range of leaves kept on in order for
successful rooting. And the science behind it would be that the leaves signal
the cambium layer to thrust out roots. And 100% leaves left on is unable to
keep those leaves and so the die back is such a drain on energy and even
signalling energy that the whole stem dies.

Last night I got a new batch of cuttings and now have about 20 cuttings each of
Sunburst honeylocust, Crimson King acer platanoides and shiner blue spruce for
a total of 60 cuttings. I would be happy with a 10% success rate. I think the
biggest problem is fungal growth in the moist and damp soil conditions.

Another problem is that I accidently have aphids in those cuttings. Perhaps the
aphids may not kill the cuttings. Seems as though the honeylocust had some on
and I just was not careful enough. Maybe I should scout around and introduce
some ladybugs.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium