Old 19-05-2004, 08:04 PM
zxcvbob

Default Growing Tomatoes

Charles wrote:
I am interested in growing the best tomatoes, cucumbers and hot peppers.

Can someone please give me recommendations as to variety and methods?

I have no idea where to begin. I never planted anything before.

I live in PA near Philly. Is it to late to begin with seeds?

Where can I get quality seeds or plants?

Thanks!!

It's too late to start tomatoes or peppers from seeds this year, but not
too late for cucumbers.

Buy tomato and pepper plants just about anywhere. Wal-mart, Home Depot,
and your local nurseries should all have them. I recommend "Early Girl"
and "Better Boy" tomatoes. Plant a few of each. And maybe one
interesting heirloom like "Brandywine", but don't expect a lot of fruit
from the Brandywine.

I can't help you much with the pepper varieties because I don't know
what you like, although "Gypsy" is a good sweet banana pepper and
"Mitla" is a very good early hybrid jalapeno pepper (but it's almost
impossible to find.)

Bob