Old 20-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Harri85274

Default Crape myrtle size for barrel

Why chop a tree crape variety into something
it's not supposed to be when excellent new, disease resistant dwarf
varieties are available that will never grow beyond 5'?

John

I did just that from a company that suppose to be the originator of such shrubs
and trees in Florida. i went for their 6 dwarfs for $59 in the peak of summer,
and each one has died on me in the span of a couple of months, and these were
suppose to be hardy type. Thats why i was leaning towards my 20 footer that has
proven to be not only hardy but reliable all these 15 years. i would love to
try again one of those dwarfs variety, but not knowing where they were actually
germinated...makes me kind of leery, particularly if another nursery buys them
from that same company that I had bad dealings with in the past.