Old 20-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Franz Heymann

Default I like the bottom posting format: was FAQ's....

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , gary davis
writes
Top posting does have some interesting advantages... especially if

you
read all the posts on a regular basis.

Depends how many posts you read! I need a prompt to remind me what

the
topic was about, and I find scrolling down to look at the previous
message than back up to look at the response just too tedious.

And even then, it is not always obvious that the response refers to.
The obvious place for a reply is in line, immediately below the point
being responded to, leaving a blank line above and below.

The latest post is right there and
you don't have to scroll through all the stuff you have already

read.

You don't with bottom postng. The idea is that you post each bit of

your
answer directly below the point you're replying to, and you snip
everything else.

That sometimes leads to lost context, but yes, vigorous snipping is by
and large preferable to threads which become intolerably long.

The ideal is that you have one screenful of new stuff interspersed

with
just a couple of lines of old stuff here and there, just enough to

let
people know what the question is.

And as for those people who repost an entire 4 screenfuls just to

add at
the end 'that was so good I've reposted it in full" !!!!!

Franz