Old 20-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Douglas

Default Hop seed: ? Fuggles?

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Douglas" wrote:

the hop-pickers
families including the women and children from the London slums used to
gather at harvest time, lived in tents and made some much needed wages.

Schoharie County, U.S. was likewise a center of hop farming some years

ago.
The schools closed for a week or so in the fall for the harvest.

*********************************
In Scotland the tradition was that the schools closed for a few days to
allow the children to go "Tattie-picking" when the occasion merited .
I have happy memories of the Scottish people in wartime at East Fortune, -
and later holidays with my family at Lossiemouth.
Here's tae us! Wha's like us?!. Ah'm way hame fer a wee bit the meat, some
tatties and neeps!.
Happy memories!. At East Fortune the tiny village residents knocked two
terraced houses together and the lads from the camp's dispersed huts in the
lonely woods could go there for a cup of tea and a wad and pleasant company
and a chat.
Bless 'em all!.
Doug.