Old 20-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default In search of tiny plants!

In article . 23,
Victoria Clare writes:
| "JennyC" wrote in :
| "Anne Hedden" wrote in message
| Looking for very small, very light plants, nothing over 1 inch in
| height or width at maturity, or very light mosses. Any and all
| suggestions very welcome. Beauty is important but not necessary.
| Must be able to grow these plants hydroponically in styrofoam.
|
| There are very few plants that will fit your bill. Moss seems to me to
| be the only possibility:
|
| What about the very tiniest sedums? corsican mint? a prostrate thyme ?
| a tiny lithops or cacti ? the smallest sempervivums?
|
| The ' nothing over 1 inch in width at maturity ' is a bit of a problem -
| most things that tiny tend to spread sideways eventually, at least if they
| get fed.

Yes. I would expect that to rule out all of the sedums and most
labiates (definitely including mints and thyme). There may be
some epiphytes that fit the bill, and there are certainly some
lichens - if you call them plants.

There are fair number of 'larger' plants that will reach maturity
at that size in hostile conditions - hairy (?) bittercress, to
mention just one common example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.