Old 20-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Truffles

The message
from "Zara Henderson" Zara@Henderson contains these words:

Is it possible to cultivate truffles or do they only grow wild,& where in
the UK can I find truffles growing wild?

If it were possible they wouldn't command such a high price.

You *MIGHT* find some if you knew where to look and what to look for,
and the characteristic odour.

You'd need to find old beechwoods over chalk, in the south of England,
or better, in France. (But you might not be welcomed in France....)

Truffle gatherers train dogs or pigs to sniff for them. I've been
collecting fungi for more than fifty years, and never found a
truffle.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/