Old 20-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Truffles

The message
In article ,
"Zara Henderson" Zara@Henderson writes:

| Is it possible to cultivate truffles or do they only grow wild,& where in
| the UK can I find truffles growing wild?

It is possible, but the requisite combination of soils and summer
heat does not really occur in the UK. We are just a bit too cold
for them.

And that is Tuber melanosporum (the black truffle). We are far
too cold for Tuber magnatum (the white truffle). There may be
some worthless truffles native to the UK, and just possibly the
marginal Tuber aestivum (the summer truffle).

Summer truffle is rated as good, but is also rare. Regular commercial
truffle-hunting ceased with the retiral of the last of the hunters in
1935.

The white truffle is (AFAIK) only found in warm climates, but is fairly
common in the right conditions in Mediterranian countries, and
stretching through Arabia to other parts of Asia. Pity, because they are
easier to find, they very often grow partially above the surface.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/