Old 20-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Janet

Default Question about Buffering Capacity in pond!

Jan, register here (http://www.click2roark.com/ ) and check out the
carbonate calculator. It will calculate how much you need to add based on
current ph and pond size as well as the target ph...
Janet in windy Niagara Falls

--

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
Grocery store baking soda is what we all use. Start with 2 cups worth and
recheck after 24. hours, depending on circulation YMMV. I'd liked to know
what your pH is? Baking soda has a set point of 8.4, some say it will

bring
down a pH higher than this.

If anyone out there has experience with bringing down a pH with baking
soda, I'd like to know just how much does one needs to add? I've used up

2 pounds in 1,000 gallons and didn't see the 9+ pH budge. Testor goes to
9.5 so I had the range to know just how high it was. ~ jan

OK, so I got a pond kit to test my bond.
I read it as the ph level was too high and the total buffering
capacity was too low. According to the instructions I have to add
Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to bring it up.

My question is, is the standard baking soda in the grocery store ok to
use as long as I just get pure baking soda? If so how much should I
add?
My pond is about 2000 gallons.

Thanks for the info.