Old 20-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Hal

Default Question about Buffering Capacity in pond!

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:20:49 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

If anyone out there has experience with bringing down a pH with baking
soda, I'd like to know just how much does one needs to add? I've used up to
2 pounds in 1,000 gallons and didn't see the 9+ pH budge. Testor goes to
9.5 so I had the range to know just how high it was. ~ jan

Something I picked up he
- if KH is below 150 ppm or so, adding baking soda will raise KH and
shift pH down towards 8.4. Suggested dose 1/3 pound per 1000 gallons.
That will raise KH by 20 ppm. or about 1 degree. ½ pound per 1500
gallons.
- if KH is above 150 ppm or so, adding muriatic acid will lower KH and
shift pH down. Suggested dose 2 ounces per 1000 gallons.(per day)
Add acid to water, never water to acid!

So what is your KH?

Regards,

Hal