Old 20-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Stan Goodman

Default horse compose

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:06:43 UTC, "Steve Peek" opined:
Compost well before using. I got a lot of weeds using fresh horse manure
once.

That's probably because horses have simple stomachs; they get to chew their
fodder only once, and have a one-stage digestive system. Ruminants chew
twice, therefore more finely, and food spends much more time in the acid
environment of the stomach, all of which is likely to break up seeds
machanically and destroy them chemically.

Steve
Alpinekid wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm starting my garden and my neighbors have horses.

Does horse manure make a good compost for the garden?
Are there any special steps I should take before using it?
Is it possible to use too much? I have really bad soil where almost
nothing grows.

I located in the high desert of Az, 5500ft.
Al

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.